Monday 20 June 2011

Keep it in the Family

Daughter bowling to mum
When the midwife finally handed me my eleven pound baby after HOURS of child birthing HELL, I felt relief, joy, love...I held him tight as his screams were heard down every inch of corridor and in every ward of the old Hexham hospital. I didn't care - he was amazing. He was gorgeous, he was mine. My lovely baby boy...

...10 years on, and I still can't believe that it was the same lovely baby boy that bowled a full toss cricket ball at 150 mph straight at my head last night.

Little SOD!

It was the eagerly  awaited match of the season -

Mothers, teachers, sisters, cousins and  friends of mothers (Angels) v's the KIDS (Under 11 Kings)

To cut a long story short, we LOST against the little whippersnappers, but y'know what -  it was a truly wonderful match. To play competitive cricket against your own kids/brother/cousin/pupils was just great, and I for one will treasure the memory of the occasion for ever, despite my own sorrowful performance!

Watch out mum!
Yes! I've hit it!
Mum in bat, dad as umpire, daughter bowling, and the other lad? He's mine!
Sadly, I didn't manage to get team pictures as a keepsake...not because the light was poor or because I'd forgotten the camera, but because as soon as hands were shaken, the kids sprinted into the clubhouse to fill their faces with the delicious tea! I didn't have the heart to drag them outside for a photo, so we'll all have to picture their smiling faces in our heads for evermore!

Well done kids - you got us this time! A strange mix of emotions for some of the Angels - GUTTED and disappointed to lose, but at the same time proud of the little sods that beat us....

...but we'll get you next time :-) 


Thanks Chris and Steve for umpiring and Aaron for scoring.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant Lisa.!! My wee one looks great, good strong
    bowling action - obviously takes after her ........ DAD!!
    We all loved every minute and the tea afterwards.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely afternoon Mrs S. Despite my Little Darling not yet taking even the slightest interest in the game, she loved strutting around with that kid in the leotard (who did she belong to again?!) and the rest of her posse. Can of Fanta in hand, getting scruffy as hell but by, the fresh air not 'arf did her the world of good.

    Oh, and did Annie manage to dig her way to Ayden Castle in the end?
    Mrs D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tiffs - the littlun did great! Definitely an Angel in the wings!

    Glad you enjoyed it Mrs D. No idea who that girl in the leotard was - but she's a right ruffian - wouldn't let your young'un mix with her again. The family is a right bad lot I hear :-)

    x

    ReplyDelete