Tuesday 31 August 2010

We Don't Like Cricket...Oh No...We LOVE IT!

I have a bruise the size of a dinner plate on my inner thigh, my achilles are both nacking, and my arms are aching like hell....wonder what state Andrea's bum is in?!

Alas, it was the last competitive game of the season for the Angels against Tynemouth. Yeh, we lost again....but I think we all emerged as winners.

This has been a fantastic debut season, and we've really surprised a few teams out there with just how well we've done. There have been moments of brilliance from every individual that has taken part, and also some classic moments of comedy which will certainly keep me laughing throughout the cold winter months!

Our captain, Sandra, and vice captain, Sally, have worked extremely hard over the season behind the scenes and on the pitch - organising the games, processing the scores and trying to ensure that everyone got a game - (not easy when there are so many of us so keen to play!) No wonder Sandra shouted 'Come on Greenside!' in the middle of our last game - she obviously needs some time off with nervous exhaustion over the winter! (Either that or she's about to defect and hasn't told us!)

Our patient coach, Dave, has been a star. Not only has he successfully headed up the junior section of the club, but he's had us lot to contend with too! When that very first email came round saying 'anyone want to do a bit of cricket coaching at Wentworth?' I remember thinking 'Aye, I'll give it a go.'
Now I am completely obsessed - checking the stats on the play cricket website, frantically writing to Santa Claus listing all the gear that I need, replaying every moment of every match in my head 'til the early hours of the morning, boring my entire family with tales of amazing catches and 9 year old spinners...its great!

There are lots of others that have found themselves wearing little wings on their backs this season.
Aaron has made a decent career for himself out of scoring, and has done a great job. Steve and Eddie have helped out with umpiring and coaching. (Got to say mind - I prefer it when Eddie's yelling on the boundary as I don't have to see him glaring at me when I swish the bat around as the ball fizzes past) Lots of the other hubbies and dads have been great on the sidelines - patiently hoying balls down to us in the nets, enjoying the games with us, and occasionally remembering to keep an eye on the hoard of kids and dogs marauding around the pitch trying to put the opposition off...

And then there's the teas. The chocolate moose square things. The individual banoffi pie canopes, the melt in the mouth onion tarts and vol-au-vents, the seafood platter, the birthday cake....I love the teas - and so have the 5,000 kids, dads, grannies, husbands, hens....

I DON'T WANT THE SUMMER TO END! Its been wonderful! Thank you EVERYone for making this a summer to remember, and we'll hopefully get together as a team to celebrate soon....and to discuss coaching in the winter!

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the gorgeous Corbridge Angel on the left hovering above her shoes with sheer delight

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I'd never noticed that before! Chloe is a real life angel! Trust you to spot that dad! x

    ReplyDelete